Monday, September 10, 2007

Linux+Gnome on TV?

Whenever I watch a movie or some TV series and they show a glimpse of a computer screen, I like to freeze the picture and take a look at what it might be (and how credible what they show is, sometimes :D). Recently, I've started watching the Numb3rs show and in the 2nd episode of the first season (Uncertainty Principle) one of the main characters, a genius mathematician, explains a certain search pattern to his colleague from the University using the well-known Mines game. When I saw the sequence, what was on the computer screen seemed familiar, so I froze the frame and I think what you see on screen is GNOME (my guess is that the OS is some version of Ubuntu), here's the screenshot:


Even though it is definitely not the version of Mines shipped with Gnome, I do think the notebook is running Linux. Cool :)

Update:
Most people seem to think it's MacOS/X, but I'm still not convinced (being stubborn as I am) :)

Update2:
It seems it really is MacOS/X... oh well :) Will keep trying!

11 comments:

xanadont said...

How is this not Mac OS X?

Unknown said...

*uch* Mac OSX 10.3.X *uch*

marek said...

I thought it was MacOS/X at first, but then I looked and looked and it started resembling GNOME more and more. The quality is poor, though, so I'm not sure :)

Unknown said...

It is definitely Mac OSX. The drop shadow on the menubar are a dead giveaway. Also, the laptop is clearly a Mac.

Sebastian Good said...

I'm afraid that's a Mac.

Unknown said...

Everything about the shot is OS X. The icons, the dock, the menubar...

Plus I'd be interested to know how a Linux box has a dock filled with Apple application icons. (iTunes on Linux, anyone? Right...)

marek said...

As far as graphics is concerned, I don't think it would be a problem. Even the shadow under the menubar is not a 100% proof, but you're probably right - it's more likely it's MacOS/X :)

Justin Ryan said...

Well, Grendel, you know how many Mac users read your blog. ;)

This really is a Mac, it's got:

iTunes
iMovie
iCal
Address Book
System Preferences
Microsoft Excel

You can even see the hyperlink next to the trash can which comes with every Mac, pointing at www.apple.com. ;)

The icons in the upper right are pretty reminiscent of Panther - no Tiger, I think, because no Spotlight.

It's clearly a Powerbook G4 running X11.

Maybe this sort of thing will help the GNOME community to care how much of a pain in the ass it is to get GNOME apps and dependencies running outside of Ubuntu. ;)

marek said...

Justin, I'm not sure what you mean with the "pain in the ass" comment - I run GNOME apps on both OpenSUSE and Ubuntu and both look great (and the way I want them to). As for MacOS/X on the screenshot - I rest my case :)

Unknown said...

> Well, Grendel, you know how many Mac users read your blog. ;)

Hey, who ever said I'm a Mac user? I just happen to have a clue. :)

Unknown said...

Well, I think it's good that someone confuse gnome with the beauty of mac :)