Wednesday, February 28, 2007

PersonalWebSite starter kit

I've just commited the first starter kit ported to work with Mono to the Mono SVN repository. I chose PersonalWebSite kit because it seemed to be the easiest one to deal with.
The kit itself was a no-brainer to port (just one change required - a case-sensitivity issue), but while trying to make it work I discovered that Mono implementation of SqlRoleProvider (and SqlMembershipProvider) were broken. The symptom was a parsing error returned by the SQLExpress 2005 server - at first I thought the bug was in the Mono.Data.Tds provider, but as Shana discovered, it turned out to be a problem with the providers mentioned above. The bug was that the providers were setting up stored procedure calls in a wrong way. Andreia fixed it in the current svn head of Mono.
There's one known issue at this point, namely the registration fails to work. It is a problem with our wizard control, which I will be looking into soon.
You can check out the ported starter kit together with instructions from the extras svn repository.

First blog entry ever

Well, it seems this is the end of my blog resistance. Knowing that I will probably be one of the worst bloggers ever I tried to refrain from becoming one, but with the latest change in my life - becoming a Novell employee working on ASP.NET implementation in the Mono team - I should probably fit in and be a good deveblogger.. :)

Anyway, I'll try to blog here about various matters related to Mono in general and ASP.NET under Mono in particular. No promises as to the quality of the entries etc. etc. - complaints will not be accepted :P